Preparing For Breast Reconstruction Surgery
Breast reconstruction is a major cosmetic surgery that stretches over a fairly long period. Patients should be willing to spend time on learning about the procedure, prepare for it properly, and adhere to the surgeon’s instructions.
During the pre-op consultation, the surgeon will equip the patient with pre-op preparation instructions. Dedicated, kind, and board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hisham Seify provides breast reconstruction to patients in Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and other neighborhoods and suburbs in this area of SoCal.
Vital Steps in Preparation
Before the breast reconstruction surgery, the patient will need to undertake the below-mentioned steps as a part of preparation for the procedure:
- Get specific tests such as blood tests, an electrocardiogram (ECG), and a chest x-ray done. Specialized mammograms may be needed in certain instances.
- Avoid smoking for a minimum of a month prior to the surgery to support the healing process.
- Refrain from taking anti-inflammatory medication, blood thinners, and specific herbal supplements that are known to increase the risk of bleeding.
- Change the schedule of certain prescription drugs with the physician’s advice.
- Ensure proper hydration many days before and after the procedure for best results.
- Include more lean proteins in the diet and adhere to a balanced diet many weeks before and after the reconstructive plastic surgery.
Preparing at Home
The patient should make some specific preparations beforehand to make the transition from the site of the surgery to their home smoother.
- Ensure that important items at home are kept within convenient reach as lifting of the arms is limited for some days post-surgery.
- Keep frozen meals handy, or enlist someone’s help for meals for the initial few days.
- Do not lift anything weighing over five pounds for the first six weeks after the procedure. Ensure that someone is around to help with lifting heavier objects.
- Collect vital items and garments in time for the initial healing phase.
- Finish any pressing household chores or work-related assignments prior to the surgery to enjoy a relaxed recovery period.
The patient may be unable to wear a pullover top and should ensure that they have loose button-down or front zip shirts or sweat shirts available to wear. Sweatshirts that have pockets within can be utilized for tucking the temporary drain tubes after the procedure.
The patient can choose loose pants without elastic waistbands in case she is scheduled for an abdominal flap reconstruction procedure. The patient should not bend over to wear shoes, and comfortable slippers or slip-ons should be a chosen.
Other Aspects of Preparation
The patient should arrange for someone responsible to drive her back home after the surgery. She may hire a help for a few days or should have a friend or relative who can assist her in the first two or three days following the surgery. Working women should apply for a leave for about one to two weeks at their workplace in advance.
Stellar and considerate cosmetic surgeon Dr. Hisham Seify receives patients from Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and nearby areas for breast reconstruction.
Committed and remarkable cosmetic surgeon Dr. Hisham Seify receives patients from Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and other towns and suburbs in The Golden State for breast reconstruction surgery.