Liposuction can be performed as an independent procedure or in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures such as tummy tuck, body lift or mommy makeover. Like any other surgery, it is important for a patient to go through a preparation process prior to liposuction. The surgeon will discuss the preparatory steps during the initial consultation with the patient.
Patients who have prepared well for liposuction surgery will typically feel more confident and will be able to achieve safer and better results.
Concrete and suitable preparation will also help to minimize the risk of complications and reduce the recovery time. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hisham Seify provides liposuction to patients in Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and surrounding locations in this bright spot of California.
Before the Surgery
The following tasks should ideally be completed by the patient well before the scheduled date of liposuction plastic surgery, once the surgeon has cleared the patient’s candidacy for this procedure:
- Arrange to send the medical records from the physician and hospital to the surgeon’s office.
- Prepare a list of all prescription and non-prescription drugs, including herbal supplements and vitamins that the patient may be currently taking.
- Get any lab tests or x-rays done as advised by the surgeon.
- If necessary, adjust the schedule of ongoing prescription drugs in consultation with the physician.
- Avoid smoking for a certain period of time before and after liposuction as instructed by the surgeon.
- Complete any urgent tasks at home or work well in advance in order to ensure a stress-free post-operative recovery.
- If required, arrange for aftercare for the first week after the surgery.
If the patient follows the surgeon’s guidelines for preparation, it will increase their chances of a safe liposuction surgery and speedy recovery.
A Day before the Surgery
Just a day before the liposuction surgery, the patient can follow a few simple tips, which the surgeon’s staff may have advised:
- Rest adequately during the day and sleep well on the night prior to the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink for eight hours before the surgery.
- Avoid using alcoholic drinks for at least 48 hours before the surgery.
- Do not wear makeup, jewelry, nail paint, body piercings, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes on way to the surgery center. In case of upper body liposuction, choose a top with front buttons so you can take your top off easier when you get home and so on.
- Diabetics should have their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
Applying Leave at the Workplace
People who are working should ideally apply for leave for at least one week at their workplace. Even during the second week after liposuction, they should only perform sedentary work and avoid any activities that place strain on the incisions. This is not the time to play basketball, to volunteer to be the shortstop in the company softball game, to engage in limb cutting on the tree in your front yard, for instance. These issues and aspects should be discussed in advanced at the workplace.
Patients should also arrange for someone responsible to drive them back home after the surgery. Reliable and magnificent cosmetic surgeon Dr. Seify receives patients from Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and other communities and suburbs in this geographical region in The Golden State for liposuction.