Choosing to go ahead with a breast reconstruction cosmetic surgery procedure is a life-altering decision. The patient should make this choice after careful deliberation and after clarifying all her doubts and concerns from the breast surgeon.
The patient will have an opportunity to ask questions at the time of pre-op consultation. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hisham Seify provides breast reconstruction surgery to patients in Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and surrounding locations.
List of Questions
The patient should preferably prepare a list of questions in advance so that none of the pertinent questions are missed out. The surgeon will make sure to provide accurate and detailed answers to the questions and help her make a well-considered decision.
- Are you an ABPS board certified plastic surgeon?
- Have many years of training and experience do you have in the field of plastic surgery?
- Have you previously performed breast surgeries?
- What breast reconstruction surgery technique would you suggest in my case?
- How much time will I be required to commit for the complete reconstruction process?
- What will be the length of the reconstruction surgery inside the operating room?
- Which surgical venue would you use for my surgery?
- Am I a suitable candidate for breast reconstruction?
- Are the results I am expecting reasonable?
- Can you show me a few breast reconstruction ‘before and after’ pictures?
- Where will the surgical scars be located?
- What type of anesthesia would you use for this surgery?
- What kind of lifestyle changes and preparation will I have to make before the surgery?
- What will be the post surgical downtime and how many days of leave should I apply for at my workplace?
- What are the potential risks and complications that I should know about before undergoing breast reconstruction?
- Will I have any options for revision surgery if the final cosmetic outcome of my procedure is not as per what was planned?
- What are the costs of a breast reconstruction, including all the pre- and post-operative costs?
- Will your office be able to offer me assistance or guidance with regard to my medical insurance claim?
- Can I review a few testimonials of past patients to learn about their experience with your practice?
Question about the Technique
The patient should ask the surgeon about the choice of breast reconstruction technique. Both breast implants technique and flap reconstruction have certain benefits and limitations. If the patient is unclear about the techniques, they should ask questions and gain clarity from the surgeon.
Question about Tissue Expander
If the patient does not have adequate skin in the breast area to support the implant, the surgeon may suggest a tissue expander technique to support the implant. The patient should ask whether tissue expander will be required or not in her case, and determine whether she is comfortable with the surgeon’s recommended plan.
Reliable cosmetic surgeon Dr. Hisham Seify receives patients from Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and nearby areas across the horizon for breast reconstruction.