Recovery phase is a vitally important component of the rhinoplasty cosmetic surgery procedure. The patient should be prepared to follow the surgeon’s post-operative care instructions to help ensure a speedier and smoother recovery. Results of nose surgery will continue to develop through the recovery phase, and final shape of the nose will firm up over a few months.
Dr. Hisham Seify is a board certified plastic surgeon providing rhinoplasty and other surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures of the face, breast, and body. During the pre-op consultation, Dr. Seify will educate the patient about various aspects of the procedure, including its expected recovery. He provides rhinoplasty to patients in Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and surrounding communities.
To make the recovery process easier, the patient can plan in advance for the post-surgical phase. The goal during recovery should be to remain stress-free and focus on the healing of the wounds. The following steps can help ensure a safer recovery following rhinoplasty plastic surgery:
- Arrange for someone responsible to drive the patient back home after the surgery.
- Arrange for aftercare for the first two or three days, particularly if the patient has little kids to look after
- Apply for leave at the workplace for about one week and seek permission for another week of working with limited physical activity.
- Stock up a supply of essential items, pain meds, gauze bandage, cold compresses and skin ointment at home.
- Complete any pressing assignments at the workplace or at home well before the surgery in order to have a restful and stress-free recovery.
Instructions for Post-Op Care
Final results in rhinoplasty will be influenced by how well the patient follows the surgeon’s post-operative care instructions. Pain and discomfort will also be reduced if the patient follows these tips:
- Rest adequately during the first week after rhinoplasty, but perform short walks and light activities at home for improved circulation.
- Stay hydrated, eat balanced meals and increase the intake of lean proteins in the diet for better healing.
- Apply ice packs during the first one or two days to reduce swelling.
- Do not blow the nose in the first few days until the incisions have reasonably healed.
- In the first week, sleep or rest with the head in an elevated position.
- Refrain from smoking during the recovery phase
- Avoid strenuous activities and heavy lifting in the first month
First Few Weeks
Mild bruising, swelling, nosebleeds, and headaches may be experienced in the first few days. The surgeon will prescribe pain medications to keep the patient comfortable. In case of severe pain, abnormal swelling or fever, the patient should contact the surgeon. Sutures, drains, and nasal packing may be removed around the end of the first week.
In the second week, bruising will subside, but swelling will dissipate gradually over several weeks. The patient can typically return to their normal routine or go to their workplace from the second week. Strenuous activities should be avoided for three to four weeks. Committed and judicious cosmetic surgeon Dr. Seify receives patients from Newport Beach, Orange County, CA, and other cities in this part of the country for rhinoplasty.